Saturday 22 June 2013

We remember Albert

In 1999 when I moved into a new neighbourhood, Albert simply walked up to me and said "Hello, my name is Albert, which unit are you from?".  Then he continued, "Are you going home?  May we visit you?". This simple gesture on his part signalled the start of my close friendship with Albert, his wife and friends of Albert.

He was perceptive, artistic, humurous, caring, an irreplaceable friend.  He was always the life of the party while his wife Ivy had always been the quiet one, preferring to let her husband hog the limelight. His demise three years ago due to leukemia left his wife devastated and left a huge hole in our circle of close friends. Last night I was with Ivy again, although not under the best of circumstances, it was her mum's funeral.   We sat together for a while, quietly remisniscing the past.  Albert dominated our conversation.  Then I realized, while Ivy was anecdoting about Albert, all the while, she was smiling.  I think she had got over her sadness and her smiles now are smiles of contentment about happy memories of the past. 


"A Friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of Nature."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882) US poet & essayist.

No comments: