Sunday 24 March 2013

Aging gracefully?

Aging can be scarry.  Now, every morning when I get out of bed, I will gingerly step on the floor to check whether my knees or legs hurt. This had become a habit for me because last year I used to experience a pain in my left leg quite frequently, although not everyday.  Thankfully, for about half a year now, my legs and knees are okay.  The next scarry thing is of course looking at my own reflection in the mirror early in the morning.  With the wrinkles, baggy eyes, crepey eyelids, turkey neck and double chin I can no longer avoid the inevitable!  The old-as-time idea of "aging gracefully" can no longer apply to me in the looks department!

Lately I had begun to examine what "aging gracefully" would really mean to me. For me, it's about having my family, having good health, good friends, new experiences and new challenges.  Everyday that I wake up healthy is a gift that I should never take for granted.  I am focussing on staying actively engaged and physically active (just joined a women's only gym). I should continue to be engaged in the world around me, learning new things and having new experiences. I should be at peace with myself and should have the grace to accept whatever comes my way with an open heart.  While I do not like my wrinkles and turkey neck and all, I know I should not be obssessed with them.



I (second from left) with my sister (third from left) and her friends at my niece's wedding last May
I (standing fifth from left) with my friends at Ethelyn's (sitting first from left) 80th birthday last year. 

No comments: