Tuesday 19 March 2013

With a grateful heart

Back in December 2000 I fell down a step and landed on my left knee cap shattering it into 2 separate pieces. I had surgery the very next day in a private hospital to wire the 2 pieces back together and my leg was immobilized.



I never would have imagined what a long process it was to recover from a broken patella. I was completely wheel chair bound for 6 months, after which I had to walk with crutches for another 6 months. During what was my longest 1-year, I began to lose confidence, although I tried not to show it.  I was constantly worried whether I would ever walk again.  I remember I was kind of "depressed" but I had to shake myself out of it because of the responsiblities I had to bear as the head of my household. 
While into my 8th month  of the operation I felt extreme pain further up my knee cap whenever I moved.  I was terrified.  When the doctor told me that the hardware had dislodged from the knee cap and moved upwards sticking into the muscle, causing me the pain, I had to have another surgery to remove the metal wires, which I still keep with me to remind myself everyday how fortunate I am to be able to walk and function normally. 
The metal wires that held my kneecap together in year 2000-2001
"Whatever we are waiting for -- peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance-- it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart." -Sarah Ban Breathnach

No comments: