Tuesday 9 April 2013

When time passes we can neither see nor touch it

Sis Wan Lan and I had just finished the translation of Father's short story "Ten Years of Life by the River Side" published by Nanyang Press Singapore in 1956, in a book entitled "Romance in Malaya". The story he wrote was a true brief story of his life from 1940 to 1956. During that period his work took him to Termerloh (by the Pahang River), Parit (by the Perak River), Sabak Bernam (by the Bernam River) and Parit Buntar (by the Krian River). 

These were the ending paragraphs:

"Ten years of life by the river side had passed by very quickly. Although I had not achieved much, I have no regrets. I know that when time passes we can neither see nor touch it. No amount of strength can stop it and no amount of good or nutritious food or facial creams can conceal our wrinkles. 
Time treats everyone equally. Whether in the villages or in the cities life changes with time. In fact every minute, everything is changing and will forever be in the changing process. 

After a few years where would my life float to? Who can tell me in advance?"




No comments: