Wednesday 20 August 2014

My lucky morning

When I cracked open my half boiled egg this morning the egg had double yolks! Although I hear that twin yolks are quite common, this is the first for me after so many years of cracking eggs!


I did some research to find out what a double-yolk egg means in folklore and superstition. I would have assumed that a double egg yolk would definitely be a sign of good luck and prosperity.  But some initial web browsing came up with conflicting information, although there were more happy predictions than bad ones. Well, being quite an optimist, I am more inclined to believe in the happy predictions, ha..ha.. Whatever it is, since I got 2 yolks for the price of one, it must be good luck!

Anyway, there is this superstition that two yolks would mean a marriage was coming up soon or a sign of a coming pregnancy, a black spot on a yolk was a bad omen, and an egg with no yolk at all was just about as bad as you could get!

Putting superstitions aside it seems approximately one egg in every thousand is double-yolked. It seems these are produced by hens which have just started laying eggs or by hens which ovulate too quickly.


No comments: