Monday 13 May 2013

Perception about the elderly

I was at a shop a few days ago and started to look at the latest mobile phones.  I requested the shop assistance for help.  But instead of giving me the assistance I wanted, he said "Oh aunty, no need to look at those phones.  Those are for youngsters who know how to use the internet, email, twitter, you no need lah".  Although he meant well,  obviously he has a certain perception of the elderly.  Maybe he thinks I am like his grandma.  If he knows that I am a very regular internet user who uses technology for everything, from entertainment and news to online banking and social networking, photoshopping etc,etc, I think his jaws may drop.  I walked away.  Maybe somebody else would not look at the elderly in a nagative light and maybe it isn't time for me to upgrade my mobile phone anyway.   


Maybe I should just be knitting and listening to the raido instead?
 

No comments: